Thursday, July 27, 2017

SNEAK PEEK: Holt: A Wolf's Hunger (Book 11) Coming Aug 4th


Holt by Desiree A. Cox
Book 11 in the multi-author series A Wolf's Hunger
Release date: August 4th
Pre-order your copy now for just $0.99 




Holt's an Omega thrust into the Alpha role after tragedy strikes.

One Beta has no experience, the other has little confidence in either of them.
...
Holt knew what he needed to do. But the Hunger struck, leaving him consumed with one thought only: feed it at all costs.

Sneak-Peek of Holt


Holt   


Before you do anything stupid, kid, this needs to go before the Wolf Council. One wrong move and you can lose the Alpha seat,” Trey said.

“You already told me I’d make a terrible Alpha, so what’s the use fighting for something I’m going to suck at? And stop calling me kid! My name is Holt and I’m a fucking man now.”

“Okay. Holt. You aren’t thinking straight right now. And just an FYI, your age may make you a man, but your mentality right now is that of a child. A spoiled, distraught, heart-broken child. Look, I get that you’re pissed and you want revenge. Hell, I want to help you destroy those fuckers who took your father from us, but we have to go about it the right way. Not the hard-headed, ‘I lost my fucking mind,’ way. Get it?” Trey sat shaking his head at me, his eyes never leaving mine.

“Yeah, yeah. I guess I get it.”

“Good. Now sit down and let’s talk this through. I guarantee the Council will see things our way, they just hate when Alpha’s and shifters circumvent the Wolf Law.”

I ran my fingers through my hair. “I’m so damned mad! How could they do that to him? And us? What kind of men would just kill him? My father wouldn’t have hurt anyone unless he was provoked and defending the Pack. What did murdering him solve?” I had so many questions that I knew I’d never get answers for.

“There are just some evil and fucked up people in the world. Only they know why they chose to destroy your father and our family.”

“I just don’t get it. Why would they come into the park and do this? We’ve been there for decades and this has never happened before.”

“Someone probably called and reported us. Our Pack numbers have grown over the years. Not everyone is as careful where they let their pups play anymore. If we have Wolves venturing off in the wrong places, we run the risk of scaring the humans. All it takes is for one of them to see a wolf, freak out, and pick up the phone.”

“Before we talk anymore, I need to check on my mom and take her some food. She needs to eat something to keep her strength,” I said.

“Yeah, make sure to take care of her. I’m not going anywhere,” Trey replied.
I warmed a plate of leftovers and poured a glass of milk, then made my way down the hall. I tapped on the door twice, but when there was no answer I opened the door and walked in. My mom looked like she hadn’t moved an inch from when I’d left her.

“Mom,” I called. She didn’t reply. “Mom.” My second attempt to get her to stir sounded more desperate.

Just when I was ready to begin freaking out, she slowly turned her head toward me. Her eyes were puffy and red.

“No food,” she muttered. Her voice didn’t sound like hers.

“You need to eat something. At least drink some milk.”

“Just leave it on the desk.” She sat up and looked at me.

“Mom.” Her eyes followed me with each step I took closer to her.

“You look like your father. You always have. I think that’s why you had such a close bond with him.” Her eyes welled with tears.

“It’s going to be okay.” I sat on the edge of the bed, next to her.

“So you say. I’m not sure I believe that.” She shook her head. “I don’t know what my life means anymore. He was my world.” She wiped the tears from her eyes.

“I know,” I said. She reached her hand out to mine and held tight, then brought it to her lips.
“You’re all I have left, Barry. I can’t lose you.”

“I feel the same about you. I can’t lose you. We have each other, and somehow we’ll get through this.” I pulled my mom close and wrapped my arms around her. She melted into me and sobbed.

“Who’s here besides Dolph?” she asked, her voice muffled as she spoke into my chest.

“Trey’s here. He managed to escape and he came as soon as he felt what happened.”

“That was nice of him to come here. I’m glad he’s safe and well.”

“We’re going to get the men who did this to Dad.” My voice was strong and powerful.

She pressed back away from me and stared into my eyes. “No! Absolutely not, Barry.”

“You can’t talk me out of this.”

“Barry, listen to me. You’re the rightful leader of the Pack. You have to lead with a level head. You can’t allow your emotions to rule you.”

“What Pack? Who’s the Pack, Mom? There are four of us. That’s not a pack,” I scoffed.

“You can get everyone back. You need to free the others, and once the Council appoints you, you’ll realize the powers of Alpha. Then you can find the others who aren’t here. Barry, I’m begging you. Please let this revenge idea go.”

“I can’t. I want them all to die,” I ground out between my clenched jaws.

“I do, too, but this isn’t the way. What am I supposed to do if something happens to you?” She sat up straight and reached her hand to my cheek, then stroked my face. “My beautiful son. As your mother, I’m telling you no. No, you cannot get revenge on them.”


“Sorry, Mom. This has to be done. What they did can’t go unpunished. I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t make them pay with their lives. They. Will. Die!”










No comments:

Post a Comment